LA-GWEP & COVID-19
At the height of the COVID-19 crisis, LA-GWEP provided additional resources to persons living with dementia and their caregivers in an effort to ease some of the challenges created by the pandemic.
This project, known as LA-GWEP Covid-19 Telehealth Response Plan, was carried out in addition to the standard objectives of LA-GWEP and concluded in April 2021.
Goals & Objectives
Prevent, prepare for, and respond to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and coronavirus disease (COVID-19), as needs evolve, among persons with ADRD and their caregivers.
1. Promote the use of telehealth technology to assess and alleviate the risk of COVID-19 and related, negative health and wellbeing outcomes among caregivers of persons with ADRD and their care recipients in the home environment
2. Prepare caregivers and care recipients to respond to COVID-19 now and in the future, via telehealth technology
3. Provide access to telehealth technology to limit the spread of COVID-19 among caregivers and care recipients
Objectives in action
- LA-GWEP provided ipad’s to family caregivers of persons living with dementia (PLwD). LA-GWEP then trained caregivers to use ipads for virtual visits via the LA-GWEP telemedicine program* and for virtual caregiver support groups
- LA-GWEP provided books about dementia care to family caregivers of PLwD.
- LA-GWEP created and distributed a pocket guide for primary care providers to assist in caring for patients with Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementias.
*Telemedicine is ongoing and not limited to LA-GWEP’s covid-19 response plan. LA-GWEP’s telemedicine program remains relevant and critical for persons living with ADRD and the students and healthcare professionals working in the telemedicine program.
Read the press release
Funds received through the CARES Act to support LA-GWEP COVID-19 Telehealth Response Plan will be used to support LA-GWEP’s chief community organization partner, Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area (ASCA), which will serve as the lead for the proposed plan